WHAT IS HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY (HBOT)?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a medical therapy that enhances the body’s natural healing process by breathing in 100% oxygen in a pressurized chamber. It’s used as a treatment for a wide variety of medical conditions and is usually a part of an overall medical care plan.
By providing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber, HBOT delivers 10-15 times more oxygen to tissues within the body. The increase in oxygen supply during a HBOT treatment allows multiple benefits.
HOW IS CENTER FOR INTEGRATED MEDICINE DIFFERENT THAN OTHER HBOT CLINICS?
- We have a hard shell, high pressure HBOT chamber, the most advanced in the region, offering the highest levels of oxygen in a safe environment. (Soft shell chambers can not deliver the same levels of therapeutic oxygen as the hard shell. Read below for more details.)
- You have a physician monitoring your care with close attention paid to positive outcomes.
- Our team follows the science utilizing HBOT for your specific medical condition.
- We adjust and customize your treatment for appropriate pressure and time in the chamber based on your medical condition.
- A consultative, comprehensive plan improves your chances of success, with options for other regenerative treatments to maximize your success.
- Reasonable and comparable pricing with more medical attention.*
*Insurance is billed for certain conditions including MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident)
EXAMPLES OF APPROPRIATE OXYGEN THERAPY FOR SOME CONDITIONS
- Cancer 2.0.24 ATA FOR 60-90 minutes
- Motor Vehicle Accident/TBI 1.5 ATA-1.75 ATA for 90 minutes
- Stem Cell Induction/Anti-Aging 2.4 ATA for 90 minutes
- Cognitive Decline/Dementia 1.5-1.75 ATA for 60-90 minutes
- Radiation Damage 2.4 ATA for 90 minutes
- Sudden Hearing Loss 2.0-2.4 ATA for 90 minutes
- Lyme Disease 2.4 ATA for 90 minutes
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2.4 ATA for 60-90 minutes
- Peripheral Neuropathy 2.4 ATA for 60-90 minutes
- Post Concussive Syndrome/TBI 1.5-1.75 ATA for 60-90 minutes
- Exercise Recovery/Sports Injury 1.5-2.4 ATA for 60-90 minutes
- Ulcerative Colitis/Crohn’s Disease 2.0-2.4 ATA for 60-90 minutes
HARD SHELL HBOT CHAMBERS AT CENTER FOR INTEGRATED MEDICINE
Our clinic uses only hard shell high pressure chambers delivering 100% oxygen. Almost all research done in the area of hyperbaric medicine is done in hard shell high pressure chambers at 1.5 ATA and above. We deliver treatment plans based on scientific research. If your condition is not related to the central nervous system, it will require pressure unattainable in a soft-shell chamber. In addition, almost all brain injury research has been done in hard shell chambers at 1.5 ATA and above.
Dr. Payson Flattery performs a detailed history, physical exam, and possible labs to determine if you are a good candidate for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. He makes sure your physiology will tolerate and utilize the added oxygen to maximize the healing process. Dr. Flattery follows you every step of the way adjusting your treatment plan if necessary to give you the best chance for a good outcome.
*Our pricing for low pressure 1.5 ATA -1.75 ATA is similar to that of soft shell chambers. (Soft shell only delivers 1.3 ATA.)
WHAT ARE THE MEDICAL BENEFITS OF HBOT:
- EXPEDITED HEALING
- STEM CELL INDUCTION/MOBILIZATION TO REPAIR DAMAGED TISSUES
- INCREASED ENERGY PRODUCTION
- DECREASES SWELLING AND INFLAMMATION
- INCREASES THE BODY’S ABILITY TO FIGHT INFECTION
- PROMOTES NEW BLOOD VESSEL GROWTH TO REPAIR DAMAGED TISSUE
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy improves the quality of life of the patient in many areas when standard medicine is not working. Many conditions such as cancer/radiation damage, stroke/brain injury/post concussive syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and chronic fatigue have responded favorably to HBOT.
Healing cannot take place without appropriate oxygen levels in the tissue and cells. Many illnesses and injuries fail to heal because of inadequate oxygen levels. Inflammation, swelling, and reduced blood flow contribute to poor healing. This means adequate oxygen is unable to reach the damaged area. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) causes increased oxygen under pressure, which provides this extra oxygen to tissue and cells with minimal side effects. HBOT treats the underlying cause of your condition leading to tissue repair and energy production from the cellular level.
CAN HBOT HELP YOU?
If your condition involves injury, decreased energy production, loss of blood supply, or inflammation, HBOT will likely help you. Exciting new research is showing HBOT as a method to slow the aging process, increase the immune system, and fight disease.
With HBOT treating the processes that are common to many diseases, it is highly probable that HBOT could help you, if dosed properly. Dr. Flattery will meet with you to determine if your physiology is primed to receive HBOT and determines the appropriate dose (pressure level and time) based on your condition and current health status. HBOT is a big commitment in your health and we want to be sure you are maximizing your chances for success.
CONDITIONS MOST COMMONLY TREATED WITH HBOT
- Cancer [Learn more about HBOT and CANCER]
- Radiation damage related to cancer treatment
- Traumatic Brain Injury Related to Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Post Concussive Syndrome
- Sudden Hearing Loss
- Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- Chronic Infections
- Osteomyelitis/Bone Infection
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Lyme Disease
- Cognitive Decline/Dementia
- Non-Healing Wounds/Diabetic Ulcers
- Sports Injury and Recovery
FDA APPROVED CONDITIONS FOR HBOT THERAPY
The FDA currently recognizes Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for 14 medical conditions, all of which are generally covered by insurance. Please contact your insurance company for verification of treatment.
- Delayed Radiation Tissue Injury
- Sudden Hearing Loss
- Diabetic Wounds
- Chronic Refractory Osteomyelitis
- Thermal Burns
- Compromised Amputation, Skin Graft, or Flap Site
- Acute Arterial Insufficiency/Central Retinal Occlusion (CRO)
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Cyanide Poisoning
- Decompression Sickness
- Air or Gas Embolism
- Gas Gangrene
- Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections
- Acute Traumatic Injuries / Crush Injuries
- Brain (Intracranial) Abscess
- Severe Anemia
OTHER CONDITIONS THAT BENEFIT FROM HBOT
HBOT may also benefit many conditions not yet approved by the FDA. The following conditions are being safely treated with HBOT in the U.S., and worldwide, by physicians, using it in an “off label” capacity. The benefits are well-documented and supported by on-going research around the world. These conditions are not typically covered by insurance (other than MVA); therefore, self-pay for HBOT treatment is available.
Off-label treatments are determined on a case-by-case basis after a consult and medical review has been conducted by Dr. Flattery. If your condition is not listed, that doesn’t mean won’t treat you. Please call us at (541) 323-3358 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Flattery.
- Brain Injury
- Concussion, TBI and brain injuries
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Depression Related to Brain injury
- Post-operative healing
- Bell’s palsy
- Spinal cord injury
- Peripheral nerve damage
- Bone fractures
- Muscle injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Rheumatic diseases
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW MANY TREATMENTS/SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
A treatment plan is based on your diagnosis or condition. The majority of conditions require 10-40 treatments or more depending on the severity of the individual’s case. An HBO treatment session generally lasts about 1.5 to 2 hours total and administered 5 days a week.
CAN I MISS A TREATMENT?
We do not recommend missing any treatments. However, there may be times when you are not able to receive a treatment because of conflicts in scheduling or health complications. We require 24-hour cancellation notice if you are unable to make the appointment.
WHAT DOES THE TREATMENT FEEL LIKE?
It may feel like you’re in an airplane taking off and landing in addition you will feel a warm sensation at the beginning and cool towards the end of your treatment. During the compression periods, people have experienced a slight pressure in their ears.
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO WHILE I AM INSIDE THE CHAMBER?
During treatment you can watch a movie, work on your computer, or be on the phone while receiving your treatment. Some people take a nap or listen to music. You will be breathing 100% oxygen through an oxygen mask or Halo during treatment.
CAN MORE THAN ONE PERSON BE IN THE CHAMBER AT A TIME?
Yes, our chamber is large enough for two people and large enough to sit up in. Please contact the office for special pricing.
HAVE THE RESULTS OF HBOT BEEN PROVEN?
HBOT has been demonstrated in clinical trials to enhance the body’s ability to increase immune responses while regenerating and repairing tissue and cellular damage. Bend Regenerative Medicine is embracing HBOT technology in conjunction with other therapies that enhance your body’s strong ability to heal itself.
IS THIS A SAFE AND REGULATED TREATMENT?
HBOT is an FDA-regulated process and the treatment takes place in a controlled environment to ensure patients are safe as they experience a change in atmospheric pressure and heightened levels of oxygen.
CENTER FOR INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE USES OXYHEALTH CHAMBERS
We use an FDA-approved steel chamber capable of treating at pressures from 1.3-3.0 ATA. We are the only clinic in Central Oregon specializing in regenerative medicine and offering HBOT in a 3.0 ATA hard shell. OxyHealth HBOT chambers are the most widely used chambers worldwide, utilized by over 3,000 physicians. They are the only chambers approved by the International Olympic Committee. Over 500 NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA, MMA and Olympic athletes, in addition to their medical training staff, exclusively utilized OxyHealth for their recovery and physical health.